Another Aspect of the Balinese Culture

July 13, 2011

The first thing you notice when you arrive in Bali is the perfume in the air, a scent of incense cradles and carries you far way from the places that you used to know, every where you can see colors and flowers, hear charming melodies and meet sincere smiles, you can feel the essence of Bali Hindu culture. Unlike the majority of the Indonesian population is Muslim, Bali is 90% Hindu. The remaining 10% is made up of Balinese Muslims, Buddhists, Catholics and Protestants, ethnic groups who live in mutual respect. Many Balinese rituals are reflected in everyday life and can be seen in the numerous ceremonies and festivals. They honor the mountain, the land and sea Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. It coaxes the gods. It soothes the demons. Everything breathes religion on the island of a thousand temples.

Bali it’s not only religion and spiritualism. It’s the ideal holiday place that meets every body needs. The island is a perfect blend of cheap hotels and luxury villas, shopping and a traditional culture. It can be fun and seductive at the same time, perfect for those looking for “the real life” in Indonesia or just party till dawn in the beachside clubs at Kuta and trendy bars in Seminyak. If shopping is your first love you will find all you wish in Bali. Indonesians are artists in many fields: famous for silk and cotton clothing but also jewelry, wood and stone carving, leather bags and jackets and musical instruments, the island offers you a variety of unique items at unbeatable prices. The balinese massage is also a traditional art taught in this island for generations perfect to relax after a day of intense shopping in Legian street or a day at beach.

The island is also one of the surfers favorite destinations, from the rugged coastlines to the long sandy beaches, Bali attracts wave hunters from all over the world. There are many options of Bali beaches to be explored, the south of the island is a true paradise with amazing white beaches and famous waves, the calm seas of  the east coasts are ideal for families especially in the Nusa Dua area. In the northern region the famous black sand beach of Lovina is a place to see when you visit Bali, it’s perfect for those who enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling. If you want to take a break from the beaches, Bali has exclusive landscapes of hills and mountains, lush rice terraces and volcanoes, you can go traking in the jungle, rafting down the Ayung River or cycling and discover the stunning scenery of  Ubud, the artistic capital of the island where everything speaks of the ancient traditions.

Another aspect of the balinese culture is certainly the food, tasty and characterized by the use of many spices produced in the countryside. Rice and noodles are the base of most dishes, with meat, fish, seafood served fried or skewered. But you can also find good international food from the french croissants to spaghetti carbonara, those who miss home will not be disappointed! Bali is defined as “the perfect island” for the mild climate, or “the island of the gods” for numerous temples. From outdoor activities to beach relaxation, Bali is now one of the favorite tourist destinations in Asia. The island has a lot to offer travelers in search of adventure. It’s the perfect place to escape from the West, from the bondage of body and let the senses feel the natural Bali spirit.
House of Bali Bloggers. Powered by Blogger.